Friday, March 9, 2007

Sur La Table - review

Sur La Table - SoHo
75 Spring Street - Manhattan
http://www.surlatable.com/home.do

Sur La Table in SoHo is like a little slice of heaven, my version of a candy store - so many things to see and want and touch and buy! My amature cooking senses are just delighted with the variety of kitchen stuff. Latest visit was on early March, when I went to get a salad spinner (as the spouse and I decided to get serious about our healthy eating habit), and ended up also getting also an oven thermometer and a long narrow spice grinder - and that was with all my will power keeping me back from picking up additional cookie cutters or spring form cake pans. The kitchy stuff I normally skip over - I'm still too young to own decorative platters with bunnies or turkeys on them. I go here for the basics that are basic and functional without being cheap and without being too cutesy.
Is it the layout, the location? Something somehow convinces me that the high prices are getting me more durability for the buck than if I buy something from Williams-Sonoma or Bed Bath & Beyond.

Just did a search on Chowhound.com for said store, and found its competition - Broadway Panhandler (http://www.broadwaypanhandler.com/broadway/). Hmmm... love competition...

Pro: huge variety, good quality
Con: on the pricier side, but if you're serious about your cooking, you won't mind that

No comments: