Friday, March 9, 2007

Blockbuster - review

Blockbuster was okay when it began, and got downright creepy when it started taking over all the little video rental stores, then charging an outrageous $5 to rent a movie. And the late fees just sucked. I hated Blockbuster, boycotted Blockbuster, and swooned with love when Netflix emerged. However, it's amazing how time, innovative competition and lawsuits can change a person, or company....

Gotta hand it to Blockbuster - they were smart enough to turn themselves around, going from an overly expensive video rental conglomerate, got the bejeezus scared out of them by Netflix innovative DVD-by-mail service, and hopped on that bandwagon. Now they've combined both the DVD-by-mail as well as instore rentals available for a low monthly price, on top of the awesome overly extended late fee policy where it says "2 day rental" but in actuality you can hang on to the bugger and procrastinate returning the movie for up to a week before the give you a kind computer voice call to say "give me back the movie" - all without late fees. And if it's still late, you now own it, and never have to return it! Great. Awesome! PLUS - you can exchange your mailed DVD for one instore - even better! Why wait 24 whole hours for the next movie in queue?? I want my movie now - I get my movie now! I have no desire to rent movies anywhere else (sorry Netflix), let alone ever buy movies ever again, and this even gives your normal theater screening of movies a run for their money. New Blockbuster has spoiled me. Let's hope they keep it that way.

No comments: