Sunday, March 11, 2007

Fresh Direct - review

Fresh Direct

A godsend sometimes, a frustrating nightmare at other times. But life is harder without it, damnit all.

First heard about Fresh Direct a few years ago when my co-workers, who lived in Manhattan and actually had kitchens, took advantage of the $50 in free food on their first order. I had to wait until I moved into an apartment that had a full refrigerate complete with freezer before trying out such service. And move to Queens. And realize that the nearest grocery store was nothing like Whole Foods, and to get descent produce I had to either schlep it in all the way from Manhattan, or have it delivered.

The first order arrived late, almost an hour late. The eggs were broken, the frozen beef patties were nowhere to be found, and the milk carton had leaked. I complained to friends who were Fresh Direct fan, and they reacted with shock for they never had such service. So I called and complained, got my few dollars credit in compensation, and ordered again. The order was as is this time, and they came within the two hour delivery block. I found it convenient to use and more controlled than going to the grocery store. While the fiance had his Jeep, he could only go shopping with me on the weekends, and after one four-hour shopping trip complete with crowded aisles, rude customers, slovenly cashiers and cramped parking lots, I begged again for the use of Fresh Direct.

We ordered about once a week, but the then-fiance (now husband, not ex) took up issue with the delivery fees, so we cut it to twice a week, until we built up a good pantry. Now it's about once a month, and I've learned a few rules - like, don't order eggs or anything else so fragile it would not stand up to the heaving and tossing required of such deliveries. We stopped ordering the beloved froze boule bread when the last one had mold growing on the bottom - in a frozen bread, no less! The produce is generally good, though for a while it was just down right nasty, I don't know why. Now we use it mostly for heavy bulky items, like seltzer waters and cat litter, and other staples like flour and sugar. The only fresh items we still get are the bulk chicken breast fillets. Occasionally we'll try some of the heat-and-eat meals, but the last time we got gnocchi it was horrible and mushy after being cooked, even though the last time we had it, it was great.

Everytime I complain about Fresh Direct to my friends, their simple answer is to just call and complain, and they'll refund you something. Sure, okay, but that doesn't make up for the disappointment. I ordered vine ripened tomatoes, I get sent your usual store bought tomatoes, and now I have to run down a couple blocks to the grocery store to get them. I could have done that in the first place! It's a tease, you know? I'm growing weary of the constant disappointment.

I fear Fresh Direct's quality is slowly going downhill, and with each order we add more and more items to the "do not order from Fresh Direct" list. I can see us soon buying $40 worth of seltzer water, but for now that's okay. Because seltzer water is important.

No comments: