Thursday, March 22, 2007

Men Kui Tei - review

Men Kui Tei - 63 Cooper Sq, between 7th St. & Astor Place

A nice cozy Japanse noodle shop. Two doors down (or so) from Japanese hair shop Hairmates, so we'd go get our hair cut, then grab some lunch at Men Kui Tei. I can almost pretend I'm in Toyko when I'm there, with the majority of customers being Japanese and then the occasional caucasian dotting the landscape here and there. Everything is in Japanese, and English of course, but all the handwritten signs on the walls are in Japanese. I think the simple hand drawn pics of the daily specials rock. Plenty of tables for two, four, six, and then a line of barstools along one wall for the solo diners who prefer distractions other than conversation. Huge white bowls of noodle soup, and equally huge bowls of rice dishes. The gyoza was to die for, once upon a time, but the last time I had them it was merely so-so. I particularly liked my katsudon (pork cutlet and egg in rice).

Good casual place to dine for comfort food, Japanese style.

In response to a few reviews that complained of unfriendly service - it's a casual restaurant, not a night on the town. The service we got was friendly enough, and prompt, and quick. If I wanted to pick on anything, I did order a Sapporo and got Sapporo Light instead. My girlish insecurities wondered if that was that a hint. But actually it wasn't bad, so I'm glad for the chance to try it. And no, I didn't bother to send it back.

One more stupid comment - the single unisex bathroom was clean, and spacious. Thank god for that! Restaurants with squeamish bathrooms just suck!

No comments: