Saturday, August 25, 2007

Zipcar

First heard about this service when I was living in Boston just before moving to NYC, but I had a car at the time, and did not need it. Thought it was a cool idea, though. Fast forward seven years later, I'm not only living in NYC but have moved to the more sensible bourough of Queens. Still need a car though. The husband came with a car, (a fun little white jeep to be exact) but that was bartered off for more necessary items. So we find ourselves in the suburbs, without a car. And it sucked. Borrowing the in-law's car worked sometimes, but when you have plans and they have plans, they trump you.

So, Zipcar to the rescue. Signed up at the beginning of the month, and have used it three times already, borrowing a Honda Element, a Scion (what maker?), and today a Toyota Prius.

The good things: damned convenient, and they have cars in lots all over the damned place. I like the choice of cars you have, kind of like a sample tasting, or like having a wardrobe for various occasions - the mountaineer, the furniture mover, the eco-conscious tree hugger, the sexy zippy hipster, the yuppie (those still exist?). I like the ease with which one can select a car and see what is available in any location. I like the option of borrowing cars in various major cities with a single membership. I like the switch from hourly to daily rates based on whichever is less. I like the card system, I like the gas card included (once you figure it out). I like how my application, done and submitted online, was finished and approved in record time of like 10 minutes, maybe less, and how I got to just head on into Manhattan to pick up my card that very day rather than waiting for it to get to me via snailmail. By golly, I like an awful lot of things about this service!

The bad: Not a lot so far. Uhm, the cleanliness is.... what is expected in a community car. It's not sparkling clean, and the Honda Element had definitely whiffs of wet dog (and the dog hair) when we picked it up. And it's not exactly the bargain we thought it would be, easily spending $60-100 per use. Once upon a time I thought the mileage was unlimited, and now there is a 180 mile cap on what's included, but can you blame them I guess with the wacked out gas prices and all? What's also terrible is the temptation to use it more than necessary, and watching your wallet bleed because of it. I mean, if you need it in NYC, chances are anywhere you want to go is about an hour out, making it two hours round trip, then calculate the time spent at desired location is minimum an hour or two, and if you're not luck, you've got to figure in traffic time... so yeah, it adds up.

No comments: